Simple yet effective personal development
Coaching is a simple yet effective form of personal development that promotes and sustains the client’s growth and competence.
The Client and the Coach create a two way working relationship aimed at improving the business situation of the client. Over the course of a series of conversations and activities, the coach and the client will work together to find insight and solutions to the issues that have been presented.
Let’s clarify what coaching is NOT about:
- About personal therapy or counselling
- A fluffy approach for needy people who can’t make their mind up about what to do
- Does not mean you won’t have to think for yourself or can blame your coach for your actions and decisions
- Not about telling people what they want to hear or just having a chat to make you feel better
What do our coaches do?
- Our coaches are here to work with you and your business to improve in a variety of areas that are important to you and your organisation
- Our coaches are here to work with you to see the blockages and remove the things that get in the way of your own success
- Our coaches may be encouraging and they may be challenging, they may be supportive and they may expose your weaknesses, they may explore the big picture and examine the small details – whatever the situation requires our coaches will respond
- Our coaches are here to work in partnership with you and are entirely focused on your development
Typically, a client will present an issue that they want to progress with a coach and the coach will examine the issue in more detail with the client. By examining the issue presented and exploring how it connects to other areas, a greater insight can be gained and a different root cause is often identified. During a coaching conversation our coaches will be working hard to enable the client to gain a different understanding of the issue and how it affects them and their organisation. The client will be working hard during the coaching conversations to develop new solutions and approaches to their issues and understand the implications of any solutions on all their stakeholders.
How our coaches work with you
It’s essential that all of our coaches work in a consistent manner to ensure quality and guarantee results, so we have developed our six key principles of coaching.
These are our 6 Principles of Coaching which set the context for all our coaching relationships:
- The client has lots of existing knowledge, skills and experience that give them a wealth of resources to draw upon in approaching their issues.
- The role of the coach is to enable the client to make the connections to their past experiences and use all their resources to progress their issue successfully.
- Our coaches enable their client to do things in a different way to get a different result and to take action that moves them closer to the outcome they want to see.
- Learning from the past is important as is imagining about the future and taking stock of your current situation.
- The coach is there to work with the client, not for them and vice versa. The coach can only give 100% of their self to the client if the client is willing to give 100% of themselves.
- Whilst an organisation or situation may provide context for a coaching program it is ultimately up to the client how they progress things. No ideas will be forced on the client and no choices will be made for them – only the client can take responsibility for themselves.
We always ensure our customers receive the highest standard of coaching and as a member of the EMCC our business adheres to the EMCC code of ethics.
Thales Learning & Development also respects the Codes of Conduct, Ethics and Standards of the different formalised Councils, Organisations and Regulatory Bodies for Coaches/Coaching and is committed to promoting and demonstrating best practice in Coaching.
Ethics and standards
In addition to our 6 Principles of Coaching, our coaches share the following ethics and standards.
In all of their activities all of our coaches:
- will always act within the boundaries of their own competence, recognising when those boundaries have been reached and agreeing a suitable course of action with the client, for example, referral to a qualified professional in counselling, psychotherapy or financial advice
- are committed to their own Continuous Professional Development, especially as a Coach, and undertakes relevant developmental activities
- demonstrates their belief in Coaching – and in their own improvement as a Coach – by maintaining a relationship of Supervision which is provided from outside Thales Learning & Development
- will recognise and quickly deal with any conflicts of interest in the coaching relationship (with the Client or their employer) at commercial or emotional levels
- will only work in a ‘coaching’ relationship with the client during the coaching contract and will not exploit that relationship or contract in any way
- work to avoid any dependency between themselves and the client, either commercial, financial or emotional
- will respect the confidentiality of the relationship both during and after coaching. The coach will only share information if explicitly agreed with the client or if withholding information could cause serious danger to the client or others
- will work within the law and will avoid conduct which is dishonest, unprofessional or discriminatory
Our 360° feedback solution
360° feedback is a fantastic way to start any coaching program that will give you insight about how others view your performance and behaviour. 360° feedback is a process where insight is gathered from you and a range of people you regularly interact with including: customers, direct reports, peers, managers or other key internal and external stakeholders. Feedback can be gathered against a range of pre-defined behavioural factors or you can create your own competencies to be assessed. 360° feedback is gathered online using our secure portal. The feedback and entire process is 100% confidential and a summary report is produced that collates all the feedback and presents summaries of your key strengths and areas of development. We always recommend that an online 360° feedback report is supported by a one to one coaching session to help you get the most from the feedback and create targeted development plans. Our online 360° feedback and one to one coaching package is very competitively priced, please contact the Learning and Development team on 0800 163 469 to confirm pricing and to book your feedback package.
We have a wide range of coaching experience with companies from various industry sectors. Here’s just some of the organisations our coaches have worked with:
“The coaching programme provided an opportunity in which to explore communications and interpersonal aspects in a suitably independent and private environment that would be impossible with internal coaching. The coach listened acutely to all discussions and gave independent feedback on communication styles as well as providing “tools” to help adjust communication styles. Also the explanation of consequences of particular approaches to communication were explained and illustrated well.”
Communications coaching client
“The one to one coaching is absolutely invaluable. Whereas conventional training courses are aimed at a group of delegates all learning the same story, taking the same story away and finding it doesn’t always work for them; this coaching is not just specific to my job, it is specific to me, and the way I like to work.”
“Coaching is the most effective Leadership programme I underwent. I would recommend a lot of people to use coaching for development of their Management skills.”
IS Development Manager
“My coach helped by generally getting to the route cause of issues and getting me to see things from alternate perspectives, and breaking my self imposed barriers.”
Senior Project Manager
The one to one coaching is absolutely invaluable