Talent Development in your business
Having talented people in the right roles has always been key to business success, but with the challenges of globalisation, Brexit and the general pace of change that we’re seeing today, it is becoming an even more important area of consideration.
But while some sectors are focussed primarily on filling talent gaps, there is arguably a bigger question that needs to be answered in order to get the most from your employees:
What does Talent mean for your business?
You know it’s important to be able to attract, develop and retain talented people to ensure your business can thrive. But what does that actually look like for your specific environment? What is talent for you? Is it defined by the skills someone has, or the behaviours they display? How do you measure the potential that someone has, as opposed to what they do now? Is your organisation focussed on team players and “get alongs” or do you value disruptive talent? Is talent more about the way an employee does something rather than what they do? Is individual talent more important than team effectiveness? And what talents will you require for your business as it evolves?
By gaining clarity around these and other issues, you can only then begin to understand how to identify, attract, develop and retain the individuals that are truly the right fit for your business, and ensure that the talent within aligns to the vision, values and future direction of your organisation. In short by answering these questions it allows your organisation to optimise the talents within the workforce, and also avoid some of the common pitfalls of not managing talent such as employee engagement, wellbeing, productivity and organisational cohesion.
How we can help manage your talent
From a Learning & Development perspective the main focus of talent management will likely fall under the heading of talent programmes, but this may also tie into a wider Organisational Development project or change management programme. Our consultants have decades of experience in the design, delivery and evaluation of talent programmes for employees at all levels of the organisation, with an ability to understand the challenges you are looking to address, not just with regards to talent, but more generally across the business, that allows them to work collaboratively with you to develop the right solution. From a talent specific context this may include:
Unleashing the talent within your organisation’s youngest employees can have incredible benefits, and we recognise that interventions in this area are becoming increasingly important due to the Apprenticeship Levy. We incorporate a number of key principles into our Apprentice programmes, including:
- Programmes completed in partnership with you
- The use of experiential learning to develop the key skills, attitudes and behaviours
- Use of your strategy and competency frameworks
- Linking all the learning back to the workplace
- Facilitation of regular follow-up sessions to evaluate the long-term impact
The design of an effective and engaging graduate development programme needs to incorporate the appropriate level of technical and behavioural skills development.
By working in partnership with you, we can build a programme that improves the experience for your graduates, and contributes to improved business outcomes.
Identifying and developing the capabilities of the future leaders within your organisation is imperative for effective succession planning and business growth. Our approach to future leaders’ development involves:
- The establishment of clear criteria for enrolment – exploring with you what attributes, competencies and values you view as necessary for successful leaders
- Building the programme around these same key elements
- Creating a solution designed to incorporate the most appropriate learning interventions for your workforce
- The use of experiential learning events, workshops, facilitated sessions, coaching or digital and blended solutions
- Empowering your high potential employees to deliver maximum impact for the benefit of the business and their career progression
Professional development can often stagnate at leadership levels. Ongoing leadership development needs to be a top priority, as often these are the individuals that will drive long-term business success.
In addition to the design and development of talent programmes, our consultants are also able to offer support on a more strategic level with elements such as:
Our team are able to support both the strategic direction and practical implementation with regards to succession planning. By embracing the vision, mission and values of your organisation, we can assess current workforce capabilities, identify areas of strength and where gaps exist. This work supports the identification of employees who may be suitable to fulfil crucial roles, and the development of staff in necessary skill areas.
Many of our consultants have backgrounds in HR and resourcing roles, enabling us to offer support on fundamental resource related challenges. In this capacity we can support with:
- Selection recruitment – establishing clearly defined job roles, and candidate criteria to help make sure appropriate candidates are selected and recruited.
- Assessment and Development Centres – where a more in-depth level of assessment is required for a role, we are able to offer assistance in designing, running and feeding back on Assessment Centres in alignment with your recruitment processes and business objectives.
Step by step we build something together